Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:27:53 -0700

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 13:58 -0400, rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com wrote:

> To which I wonder:
> Where do people find time to be involved in projects that don't pay bills? Does everyone but me budget their Saturdays for learning new software or contributing to OS projects, or something?

You don't have to make the project a second career. Many people only do
a few hours a week, in the same way they would any volunteer work. And
if you think how open source software helps provide access to on-line
resources for the poor, or for developing nations, that's really what
you are doing.

Moreover, given the scarcity of documenters in many projects, any time
you could spare would probably be welcome with hysterical cries of
relief.

I should also add that "projects that don't pay bills" have a way of
paying off in the long run. They get your name out there, and people
remember it. I've found a lot of work because of them -- or, perhaps, I
should say, it has found me. As a result, I have found telecommuting
work that I enjoy, good pay, and a small degree of notoriety.

Think of getting involved with open source projects as a chance to do
good while enhancing your career.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"When a person has a poor ear for music he will flat and sharp
right along without knowing it. He keeps near the tune, but is
not the tune. When a person has a poor ear for words, the result
is a literary flatting and sharping; you perceive what he is intending
to say, but you also perceive that he does not say it.'
- Mark Twain

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com