Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?
From: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:12:21 -0400

> To which I wonder:
> Where do people find time to be involved in projects that don't pay bills? Does everyone but me budget their Saturdays for learning new software or contributing to OS projects, or something?
>
> Vaguely bewildered,
>

> Rebecca Stevenson
> Freelance Technical Writer
> 508-725-0937
> AIM: RJSWriter

Rebecca,

It's not just you. :) I work full-time and also do two regular
consulting gigs in different fields, so the last thing I want to do is
put myself back in front of the computer screen for unpaid work.

With that said, study and research and experimentation are essential
if you want to keep your place in the industry, or expand it into
different roles. I've learned so much from this list alone, and it's
whetted my appetite to try new things.

Plus, some of us might find our daily documentation jobs to be
unfulfilling, so experimenting with open source, building Wikis, and
contributing to volunteer causes is what gives us satisfaction.

Everyone's different, but one common truth I believe in is this: If
you find something that interests you, you'll find the time to do it.
Guaranteed.

Martin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com