Re: Why Tech-Writers Should Know About Open Source Technologies

Subject: Re: Why Tech-Writers Should Know About Open Source Technologies
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:46:14 -0700

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 09:29 -0400, eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
wrote:

> But, open source tools do require a great learning curve for
> installation, support, and administration. That's what I don't have
> time for.

How much time do you spend installing MS Office? How many times have you
contacted Microsoft technical support? For the type of tools that
tech-writers are likely to need, you're likely to spend about the same
amount of time on installation and support.

As for administration, open source often requires less, not the least
because you don't have to worry about licence compliance.

Of course, you could find some open source applications that would
support your comments. However, you're making sweeping generalities.

> That doesn't mean I won't pick up skills on the side, but I don't see
> it as an absolute necessity.

It's not. My point was that it is going to impinge on your professional
life in the near future, if it hasn't already. Unless you have very good
job security, it's a good idea to prepare now.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"When a person has a poor ear for music he will flat and sharp
right along without knowing it. He keeps near the tune, but is
not the tune. When a person has a poor ear for words, the result
is a literary flatting and sharping; you perceive what he is intending
to say, but you also perceive that he does not say it.'
- Mark Twain

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com