RE: Fw: change in payroll status

Subject: RE: Fw: change in payroll status
From: "Wilcox, Rose" <rwilcox -at- ssqi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:39:31 -0700

> That was my impression as well, so it is simply that the previous
> post's mention of possible exceptions if one is a contractor is
> not applicable.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

I wasn't totally clear in my post. I am a contractor in Arizona. A
now that they were made non-exempt (hourly). But if the employee is in
Arizona, they may or may not be able to get time and a half for OT. In
most IT positions, one cannot get time and a half, but only straight
time, whether one is contract or not. I mentioned that in most my
contracts I have gotten paid straight time for overtime, except for a
few times that I worked for California consulting agencies. However, I
did not mention that the exception for OT for professionals in Arizona
does NOT only apply to contractors but also to direct employees, based
on position. There are some IT positions, such as customer service and
I think, computer techs, which can now make time and a half for OT, but
I don't think they put tech writers in that category. However, I don't
have time to research it and offer clear info today. So my info could
be somewhat off... it may have changed more than I think since the last
time I read up on it, so if someone else has better info about Arizona
law, let me know. Plus it is against the odds that the person is
actually IN Arizona, so for the most part, the point is moot.

Rose A. Wilcox
Senior Technical Writer
480-586-2645
480-580-0530 (cell)