Video Capture / Editor Software?

Subject: Video Capture / Editor Software?
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:24:00 -0400

I've got an interesting short-term project to work on and looking for
some software that's powerful but not too expensive (I don't see this
becoming a regular part of my job). I looked at the recent Screen
Recorder thread but I don't think the requirements of that project and
mine are the same.

Yesterday I was given a DVD of a few of our company's television spots
and I have been asked to produce a five-minute video for our department
VP to present at an upcoming executive staff meeting that combines the
ads with some additional pre-recorded voiceover, music score, and a
dozen Power Point slides.

So I need something that will:

a. Capture video at high quality from the DVD during playback (the DVD
was produced by an outside advertising agency and I don't have access to
editable files)
b. Allow editing and mixing new soundtracks
c. Allow editing transition effects (fades, wipes, cuts, dissolves,
etc.)
d. Allow integration of standard graphics files created in a PC
application (in this case, PowerPoint)
e. Burn it all to a DVD when I'm done making it (I have other DVD
burning software, but I'd prefer to burn from the app that actually
creates the finished product)

Can anyone provide any recommendations?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com