RE: Tech Comms for disaster relief

Subject: RE: Tech Comms for disaster relief
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:55:51 -0700 (PDT)

> > Why? Is it a law in New Orleans that a company must have this in
> > place? What makes corporations in New Orleans different than
> > other cities, because my experience is that companies from all
> > over are ill prepared for disaster recovery.
>
> I'm not certain of this, but I highly suspect it, because they
> all knew this exact situation was coming one day. They've known
> for years that a direct hit would flood the city..

I cannot conceive of a city being successful in mandating that every
company in their jurisdiction must comply with remote backup of
anything, let alone electronic data. It is a very costly undertaking
and if I was a company upon which this was mandated, my first
response to the city would be "YOU pay for it." I'd guess that if the
companies don't care enough to have a disater recovery plan in
effect, the city can't force them.

Now, if we talking about rules that fall under something like SOX,
HIPPA, or some other type of regulatory umbrella, then I'd say it's a
better chance, but I doubt that to.

Find out how many of the businesses in CA have plans because everyone
assumes that its only time before they'll be in the pacific. I worked
in Sacto and SF and it's a small percentage.

If you are an out of work writer with no ties and want to work around
the clock, I still say contact the disater recovery companies heading
to the area (I'll bet there is a caravan) and make your services
known to them.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than