MS Word 2000 document repair software?

Subject: MS Word 2000 document repair software?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:32:34 -0400

Pasdetrois (more nimble than Pas de deux?) wondered: <<Can anyone recommend a repair tool for a Word 2000 document?>>

Depends entirely on what the problem is. Can you provide details on "repair"? What's damaged? So many things can go wrong with Word files that it's tough to troubleshoot without knowing what we're trying to do.

I've read that Word 2003 offers an "open and repair option", but since I don't use that version, I can't speak to its success firsthand. If the file is totally screwed up, all versions of Word offer a "recover text from any file" option; in my experience, it works poorly, but may be better than nothing. Sometimes you can insert a damaged file into a new blank document (Insert-->FIle) and solve the problem that simply.

The standard remedy for Word corruption is as follows: If you're using versioning (File-->Versions), turn it off, delete any versions that have already been saved, and save the file under a new name. If you're using "Fast save" (one of the options in the Word preferences), turn it off and never use it again; then save the file under a new name. Last but not least, turn on the display of the paragraph marker (the backwards P), select the entire document except the final paragraph marker, then copy and paste into a new document.

Some combination of these three steps works for just about any corrupt document I've ever encountered in nearly a decade of working with Word.

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com