Re: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...

Subject: Re: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:11:29 -0400

To reiterate why asking us for advice on which tools to focus on
learning is bad, I list the apps I use on a regular basis:

FrameMaker
WebWorks Publisher Professional for FrameMaker
Acrobat Professional
PaintShop Pro
Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect Edition
Visual SourceSafe
Ndoc
FAR

Note how they differ from David's, and from each other...

I say it's most important for you to focus on your studies and on
learning the theories and concepts behind the technologies than learn
the technologies themselves. I know a lot of writers who use software
but really have no idea what it is their software is doing. My
personal position is that this is a very dangerous way of carrying on
in a professional career. Should anything go wrong or change (like a
tool go away or some such thing, which happens more often that you'd
think), there will be a lot of unanswered questions as to how to
proceed.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736