RE: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...

Subject: RE: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:21:30 -0500

Andy,
I'd say consider MS Word and Adobe Framemaker. And it would be good if
you have or can develop some basic drawing skills. A couple of simple
apps for this are probably on your machine already (MS Paint and MS
PhotoEditor). These apps cannot do really fancy things, but using this
kind of simple tool at the beginning helps you concentrate on making a
good, simple drawing.
And I would like to mention another tool for text (and manual)
handling--OpenOffice.org (OOo). I do not use it yet. I just use MS Word.
Sometime in the future I will download OOo and start to learn how to use
it. It's a free download.

Jim Jones http://www.tinyurl.com/4arjc

...I'm as new as you can get in this field (I'm starting a TW
certificate program this fall, but I do have 17 years under my belt as a
technician in the telecom field). ...if anyone could recommend 2-3
software apps that I should focus on learning before I applying for work
in this field? I've looked through the archives and seen quite a few
mentioned (RoboHelp, FrameMaker, DocToHelp) but I'd like to know
which...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com