Re: Indexing a 212-page tech document using WORD '03? (take II)

Subject: Re: Indexing a 212-page tech document using WORD '03? (take II)
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:31:50 -0500

I was a bit surprised that no one mentioned my preferred method for
indexing, or if they did, I misunderstood.

I automate the indexing task somewhat by using a master file of terms.
You can set this up to automatically insert the XE fields and do the
replacement for similar terms.

The problem with this approach is that you have to check each entry to
make sure it's something you really want to reference (rather than
just a cross-reference or minor comment). You also have to go back and
combine the index entries that are parts of main sections. But it is
easier than inserting each entry throughout a document, and prevents
most problems encountered by misplacing a field.

Kathleen

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com