What I Oughtta Know

Subject: What I Oughtta Know
From: Jefro <jefro -at- jefro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:37:53 -0700

As I posted earlier, I am on the job hunt for the first time in quite a while and find myself with a little bit of spare time and a large motivation to find work. Logically this is a good time to round out my skill set a bit. I am seeking advice on which direction to head during the hopefully brief time I am unemployed.
My main goal is to be as marketable as possible in a generic sense, although I am not averse to specific training as long as it is indeed valuable. I have several skills that were marketable 10 years ago that are quite obsolete now, although like bell-bottoms and disco some do make popular reappearances. Any advice from the peanut gallery is appreciated.

Me in a nutshell:

13 years writing mostly development documentation, some hardware:
open-source development tools
embedded OS development tools
web application development tools
microprocessor specs & dev tools
Linux-based supercomputer documentation

Documentation tools:
TeX, LaTeX, etc years ago (no desire to return)
Frame/Acrobat/WWP
also RoboHelp, some Visio, heavy Photoshop, a few others

Other Interesting Skills:
HTML, Perl, shell-scripts
some marketing writing & technical illustrations
photograph retouching & restoration
organizational & leadership skills
telecommuting (full-time 6 years and counting)
Where To Go Next: doc tools
XML - some exposure, but not to current tools
Word - last time I used it regularly was in college

Where To Go Next: marketable exposure
UML (for a lead I am following)
back into web programming: PHP, Java, etc.

thanks all

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com