RE: Newsletters -- what's the best tool for creating them?

Subject: RE: Newsletters -- what's the best tool for creating them?
From: "Rochelle McAndrews" <rmcandrews -at- csiu -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:41:30 -0400

Beth Brooks wondered: <<This week I'm being asked to create a
newsletter template that will be easy to use and maintain in an
environment that runs strongly to the non-technical (e.g., nobody knows
how to use MS Word styles). I've been told I can recommend a tool for
purchase so long as it is not TOO expensive, can accept content from MS
Office products, and doesn't have a hefty learning curve. The
newsletters will have 8.5 x 11 pages and may be distributed on paper or
in PDF format.>>

Geoff responded:
<Some useful suggestions on making template use easier can be found at:
http://www.geoff-hart.com/resources/2000/dynamicstyle.htm...

You can beat Word's typography into submission, but it takes much more work
than with real
DTP software, and nothing beats InDesign for elegant typography.>

I agree wholeheartedly!!

My short answer to Beth's inquiry is:
You can use InDesign (import or copy/paste stuff from MS's Word, among
others) to create the newsletter layout (creating/applying styles within
InDesign). Then you can send your final layout to the pdf distiller
(printer) for final output (I retain/apply links in the pdf file). You and
others can distribute a copy of the pdf (with applied security) and/or hard
copies, as needed.

This process has worked well for me in a similar situation--for a newsletter
subscriber base of over 900 clients.

Have fun with it!!!

Rochelle

p.s. The upfront Adobe InDesign license fees recoup themselves in the
reduction of headaches for TWs who do this kind of project as part of their
job duties. Plus, if you've ever used Quark eXpress, the learning curve is
minimal.

This message may contain privileged, confidential information that is
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee
indicated in this message or if it does not apply to you or your
organization, you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such a
case, please delete this message and reply to the sender immediately. Thank
you.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com