RE: FrameMaker V7.1 question

Subject: RE: FrameMaker V7.1 question
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:42:12 -0400

Try this, Bill:

1) Set the alignment of the paragraph within the table cell to be
Center. If you're manually changing this for a paragraph that keeps
the default CellBody paragraph tag, be sure to use the Apply button
in the Paragraph Designer rather than the Update All button. But my
advice is to create a new paragraph tag so that you avoid manual
format overrides (which make your documents harder to maintain
in the long run).

2) With the insertion point in the centered table cell paragraph, use
File>Import>File to import the graphic. Invoking the import directly
from a paragraph causes FM to automatically create an anchored
frame that is 12 pts bigger than the actual size of the graphic (there
will be a 6 pt "pad" between the graphic and the frame on each side)
with location set to "Below Current Line".

3) Use the minimally documented keyboard command for the
"shrink-wrap" operation to eliminate the padding between the graphic
and the anchored frame that contains it (they'll wind up the same size)
and changes the frame's position property to "At Insertion Point". The
magic key sequence for this is Esc, m, p (three separate keystrokes).

4) Done.

Also, you might want to subscribe to either the FrameUsers or the
FreeFramers list if your primary goal is to tap in to FrameMaker expertise.
I suspect that no more than about 1/3 of the people on Techwr-l use
FrameMaker regularly. You'll see a lot of questions about Word here,
along with a lot of recommendations for OpenOffice.org and a lot of
discussion about help-authoring tools (HATs) and structured authoring
(e.g. XML) environments.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Bill Stevens" <bill -dot- stevens -at- kratos -dot- co -dot- uk>
Subject: FrameMaker V7.1 question
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:58:15 +0100

FrameMaker experts,

I am trying to centre (left/right) a graphic within a table cell. I have
searched FM's online help, read the FM books, tried the internet, and
finally joined TECHWR-L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The method I am currently using is to:
a) Set the Anchored Frame position to ?Run into Paragraph?.
b) Manually positioning the graphic within the Anchored Frame.
c) Print the page.
d) Check the position with a ruler.
e) Make any fine adjustments.

Is there an easier method?