Re: XML/DocBook for newbies

Subject: Re: XML/DocBook for newbies
From: "Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:34:26 +0100

> To get a feel for the process of creating documents using DocBook, I
> found it helpful to walk through the example presented in the article
> "Creating an Online Help System with JavaHelp and DocBook"
> (www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/10/15/javahelp_docbook.html).

Thanks for that; I've been feeling my way through that tutorial
plus one or two others. I downloaded a trial of XMetal Editor
to edit some example DocBook XML files, and also installed fop,
an XML-to-PDF converter (which I notice you mention later).
One nice feature of this appears to be you can set up a documentation
server, continuously producing PDFs as the relevant XML files are
updated. Are there any WYSIWYG-ish _free_ editors like XMetal you'd
recommend? (I've prefer an editor where you can see the tags, but
can't accidentally break the tags, and where the DTD is enforced).

> First, what output formats are you targeting? I convert DocBook to
> HTML and PDF, so my answers deal with those outputs. You may need
> different tools if you're targeting different formats.

My aim is to start with the basics, which in our case means PDFs.
If I can get _that_ working in the short term, I'll be delighted.

> If you choose to go with XSL, you absolutely must read Bob Stayton's
> excellent and indispensable "DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide."

Thanks for all that info!

P.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"My aims are that of an owl's. To whit to woo. Eh ladies? "

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com