RE: The future of tech comm: podcasting? -- YES!

Subject: RE: The future of tech comm: podcasting? -- YES!
From: Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:28:24 -0400 (EDT)

I find spoken instructions harder to comprehend, and
this becomes far worse when in a foreign language. My
fiancee, whose first language is Spanish, says the
same thing.

When we don't understand each other, we haul out the
laptop, fire up the translation software, and start
typing. We have both found that we often understand
what is meant by the time the other person is finished
typing, where we simply could not get it even when
explained verbally.

We found that even one misunderstood word could be
enough to mean that we could not comprehend the
meaning of the sentence. Often, the brain is puzzling
over that one word - while the speaker is still
speaking. Written instructions are self-paced, so the
reader cannot be left behind, and the reader also has
the context of the whole sentence.

Brian

--- Sarah Stegall <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

> Steve: Your point is well taken. After the laughter
> dies down, and one
> thinks soberly (what, on FRIDAY?) about this, I can
> see a case for it. It's
> possible that non-native English speakers/readers
> might have a better time
> of it *hearing* instructions read aloud in a clear,
> well modulated voice.
>
> Sarah

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com