Technical writing in South Florida?

Subject: Technical writing in South Florida?
From: tarage -at- bellsouth -dot- net (imac)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:20:48 -0400

Michele wrote:

>We despise Florida, it's like one scary new subdivision ALL OVER THE
>STATE! Heck, I come by this b/c the parents had a house on Jupiter. For
>my first 18 years I was schlepped to Florida 3-4x per year. Now, besides
>having to go to Orlando for the STC conference five years ago, I won't
>step over the border, bad dreams and all that!

Now I've lived in Florida for 10+ years, so take this all with a grain
of salt. :)

Florida has major cities, small towns, and a lot of variety. For
instance, the corridor from Melbourne to the Cape consists of
medium-sized towns that have a lot of defense contractors (Harris, Northrop-Grumman, Rockwell, and loads of smaller companies). Even Orlando, with its studios and attractions,
isn't huge. If you take the wrong road (or maybe the right one), you'll be looking at cows!

There are at least five separate areas to Florida: the Panhandle, Central Florida, Miami-Dade, the Keys, and West Florida. One of the things I appreciate about Florida is that within minutes you can
find yourself in rural swampland, a lonely stretch of beach, or rolling
hills and trees (west Florida and north past Gainesville). The state's
nowhere close to reaching capacity, I'd say. I've travelled the state
from Lantana to Ft. Walton Beach, from Miami to Pensacola, and it's kept the subdivision builders at bay for the most part.

Which is all to say, you can probably find a place to live that suits
your lifestyle. I wouldn't say that's a deterrent if you're looking for
work down here.

~Mike

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com