Re: Experience vs. expertise (was: ...Why discuss certification?)

Subject: Re: Experience vs. expertise (was: ...Why discuss certification?)
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:23:29 +0100

I'd say I'm in the pro-certification camp but I'd also say that, as part
of your CV, it's simply another way of getting your foot in the door.
Once there (interview stage) it's up to you to sell yourself and what
gets you the job is:
Portfolio, refs etc - these hopefully show that you have the
experience/expertise you've said you have
The interview - where the interviewer(s) confirm that what you've said
is true :-)
The 'touchy-feely' bit - will they fit in, can we work with this person
etc

The certificates, degrees etc may give you the edge in getting an
interview but then it's up to you. In all the time I've been writing
I've never once been asked to produce said certificates.
As for references, at one place I worked when I asked my manger I was
told to write what I wanted in it myself and give it to him to sign - I
must have been good :-))

Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com
Technical Communications