RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Why discuss certification?

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Why discuss certification?
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:39:51 +0100

I'd have to go for 'Other' or maybe all.
* Improve the image of the tech writing field
Having a (suitable) recognized certification could improve the
image or, at least, inform employers exactly what it is we do!
* Improve the quality of documentation produced
A minimum level of competency would improve docs - I've come
across too many 'writers' who couldn't write over the years.
* Keep unqualified people out of the few avail. Jobs
Not applicable - everyone has to start somewhere
* Enhance the impact of tech writers on products
If what we do (and the value we can bring) was more widely
recognized then, yes, we may be listened to re usability etc
* Improve productivity
Probably - I know the 'basics' I've learned over the years have
made me more productive
* Affect direction of undergrad TW education
Possibly help make more 'real life'. Anyone remember Andrew
Plato's TW curriculum?
* Positively affect the bottom line
Although not universally recognized, good docs DO affect the
bottom line with reduced tech support calls etc.
* Establish recognized minimum competency
Does this need saying? Again I've seen too many writers that
should be doing something else - anything but writing!
* Promote product usability
Definitely - ties in with others above, be it changing the
interface or just ensuring that the docs MAKE the product usable.
* Other/None of the above
Hopefully, with the enhanced reputation of TWing, it would me
more employable.

Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com

Technical Communications