Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:22:02 +0100

All very valid points so far (not too much re-hashing!) but I think
we're getting a little away from the point of the original post or maybe
I mis-interpreted (happens occasionally!). I've been in the
business/trade/profession/whatever for 20+ years now and, over that
time, I've seen writers that varied from the ridiculous to the sublime.
There have been wonderful writers with no qualifications at all and
there have been those who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag.

We all have different skill-sets based on our training, experience etc.
However, there is (or should be) some 'skills' that we all have in
common. We should ALL be able to write clearly and concisely etc (see
set. From an employer's point of view this would/should help them ensure
that they don't hire a complete idiot - it's not a guarantee, just a
helpful tool. For the writer, it shows they have the basic competencies.

I suppose it could be looked upon as the old apprenticeship/guild thing
(certification HAS been around for a long time in one form or another) -
being certified would equate to having served your apprenticeship.
Having has some duff, time-served, tradesmen over the years it's not a
guarantee but usually a good indicator.

Looking at it from the UK perspective, I suppose being a member of the
ISTC would (very) roughly equate to this low level certification.
Looking at the STC site it seemed that anyone with an interest in TW can
join. The ISTC set criteria that must be met before you can join
(http://www.istc.org.uk/pages/q-membrs.php#Members). There is also the
City & Guilds Institute award a Licentiateship in TW (based on
portfolio, references etc) which equates to Master Craftsman status in
Europe. Small beginnings but the aim is to make being a member
(MISTC/FISTC/LCGI etc) worth something. Already I've seen jobs
advertised here that state that membership, while not essential, is seen
as a plus.

Damien

Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com