Biz: Declining a copyediting test?

Subject: Biz: Declining a copyediting test?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:38:18 -0400

(Cross-posted to techwr-l and CEL, since Bonnie wrote to both groups)

Bonnie Granat wondered: <<A company (book packager who says its manuscripts are primarily from "a well-known POD publisher") has sent me a copyediting test consisting of 2-3 page portions of three remarkably bad documents that I don't believe any copyeditor would regard as ready for copyediting.>>

Perhaps this is actually a meta-test: that is, a test to see whether you're prepared to apply bandaids where a tourniquet is required? I think it's also appropriate to insert a standard warning: though "print on demand" is not proof of unpublishable material, you'll certainly see much more unpublishable crap in this market than you'll see with a traditional publisher, which has (how shall we put this delicately...?) standards and a staff willing to screen out the worst literary excesses.

<<Therefore, I do not plan to take the test.>>

I'm in the fortunate position of no longer having to take such tests: I have enough loyal clients that I don't need to prostrate myself before a publisher to prove that I'm worth hiring. What I will do, if the opportunity seems interesting, is offer to do the full monty on a manuscript if they'll pay me my standard rate to do so. The logic: They get an impeccably edited 2-3 pages that they can then include in the published material; I get compensated for my time. I encourage this practice wherever possible, since it helps employers to understand the value of our time--which they won't do if they can get us to give up several hours of our time for no guaranteed compensation.

Clearly, this is often impossible, particularly when you're starting out in the biz or in between clients and need work. It's also true that when we bid for contracts, the time spent preparing a bid is not billable. We can try to bury that in our cost estimate as a hidden cost, but when (as is likely in Bonnie's case) the client is only prepared to pay a fixed price per page, that's not an option. Tough situation.

Here's a suggestion: If you feel that the manuscripts are not yet ready for copyediting, why not offer the company your services as a substantive editor, at a higher rate? Clearly they need the services of such a professional to produce material that will be ready for copyediting, and the client can sell this to their authors as a value-add. Worth a shot!

<<I don't want to just tell the company that I am not going to take the test, but I suppose I could say just that. I'd like to tell them in a diplomatic way what I've written above. If I don't tell them, who will?>>

Say summarize what you've said, with a little spin: "I'd be interested to work with you on this manuscript, but it's not yet ready for copyediting. It needs a thorough substantive editing first, and I'd be happy to show you what I mean by that term. I believe we could work together to offer your authors this service as a value-added service for authors who need more than simple copyediting. Here are my terms..."

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com