Re: [C]onfidentiality-notice [R]evocation [A]nd [P]roscription

Subject: Re: [C]onfidentiality-notice [R]evocation [A]nd [P]roscription
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:32:06 -0700 (PDT)

> Is anybody on this list aware of any _real_ positive value
> of the notices that so many of us have pasted to the bottoms
> of our e-mails?

None

> I'm pretty sure that those blobs of self-important bumpf-harrumpf
> text have no force in law. Is there any non-urban-legend
> example where such a notice was instrumental in saving somebody
> or some company from material loss or embarrassment?

They probably have no force in law, but other statutes do and they
are probably more difficult to inforcea if the disclaimer isn't on
record.

lawyer: I want you to smack Kevin in the head...hard. He passed my
company secrets to the Ebonians.
judge: Did you tell him not to?
lawyer: uhm...
judge: nice going...get the xxxx out of my courtroom.

> Some of you have connections to the legal beagles. Any words
> of wisdom to inject?

I'd rather atempt to change the rotation of the earth by pulling the
other way on a big rope.

> When the bumpf notice tag is bigger than the actual content
> of the mail, that begins to encroach on SPAM territory,
> doesn't it?

I'm sure if you never sent another emaail in your life, the legals
would lose about .001 sec of sleep.

> Can we start a campaign to pound some sense into the
> heads of the corporate types who mandate this low-grade
> fertilizer?

Who IS this and what have you done with the real Kevin?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?I can win an argument on any topic,
against any opponent. People know this,
and steer clear of me at parties.
Often, as a sign of their great respect,
they don't even invite me."
Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com