[C]onfidentiality-notice [R]evocation [A]nd [P]roscription

Subject: [C]onfidentiality-notice [R]evocation [A]nd [P]roscription
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:19:34 -0400

G'day all,

Is anybody on this list aware of any _real_ positive value
of the notices that so many of us have pasted to the bottoms
of our e-mails?

I'm talking about those ugly paragraphs of pseudo-legalese
that either beg or command the reader to treat our missives
as confidential property of the originator, especially if/when
we are so dumb as to send to an unintended recipient.

To my mind, if a message gets delivered to me, I can do with
it what I like. Propriety and politeness might exclude some
uses I might make, but if I want to pass it on to somebody,
by gosh it's getting passed on.

I'm pretty sure that those blobs of self-important bumpf-harrumpf
text have no force in law. Is there any non-urban-legend
example where such a notice was instrumental in saving somebody
or some company from material loss or embarrassment?

Some of you have connections to the legal beagles. Any words
of wisdom to inject?

When the bumpf notice tag is bigger than the actual content
of the mail, that begins to encroach on SPAM territory,
doesn't it?

Can we start a campaign to pound some sense into the
heads of the corporate types who mandate this low-grade
fertilizer?

Kevin (whose every mail is blessed with a non-grammatical blob,
automatically attached by our outgoing servers)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com