RE: Industry Standards

Subject: RE: Industry Standards
From: "Gerald Bourguignon" <gbourguignon -at- johnstonmadvac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:40:54 -0400

>I have a question about "industry standards". Something that I often see
>included in job postings for technical writing positions is the line:
>"Familiarity with industry standards". Does anyone know what this means
>or what employers are looking for when they ask this? It seems like such
>an open-ended question...

It seems a bit vague to me as well. Depends on the industry. For example,
if you were going to work for an aircraft manufacturer familiarity with ATA
2100 would likely be an advantage. Perhaps Simplified English as well, but
is that an 'industry standard'?

I'm sure there are software applications that call themselves the 'industry
standard'.

I would try to find out the industry for the position and do some research.
Or ask the employer or recruiter to elaborate.

---
Gérald Bourguignon
Allianz Madvac Inc.,
Boucherville, QC, Canada