Fwd: Indexing multiple documents

Subject: Fwd: Indexing multiple documents
From: Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:39:13 -0400

On 7/11/05, Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Assuming the index markers are already in place in the frame doc,
create a new meta-book containing all the chapters from all the books.
Set it up so that each book generates a unique page number prefix
(Inst, Upg, API, whatever). Gen the index, touch up the formatting, and
you're done.

If you don't have index makers in place, consider using IXGen to manage
them.

If you don't have the source files, look at Adobe's Catalogue tool, although
it produces more of a concordance from the .pdfs.

P.S., required because I was replying on my first cup of coffee:

I assumed the help files were originally authored in FM and processed
through RoboHelp. If they weren't, you could import them into FM,
assuming they can also be saved as .rtf, and then generate using
the meta-book.

Or create PDFs from the HTML Help with Acrobat so that you can use Catalogue.

Art

--
Art Campbell art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com
No disclaimers apply.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com