Re: Disadvantages of angle brackets?

Subject: Re: Disadvantages of angle brackets?
From: "Brian Gordon" <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:26:48 -0700

I have used angle brackets as described by Kathleen. The task was to create a user guide for complex maintenance management software (MAXIMO) for extreme neophytes. In facts, many were computer-phobic. It was a union shop, and the general attitude was, "I've been doing my job for 30 years without a computer or maintenance management software, I don't see why I need either now. Further, it's an extra task and if I can find ANY reason not to use this software, I'll take it."

A great reason would be hard-to-follow documentation. [Keep in mind these guys were working on multi-million-dollar equipment, the failure of which could easily lead to loss of life. In fact, this weekend, they had an accident due to equipment failure that nearly killed dozens and will certainly cost the company millions to recompense victims.]

The solution was to create two user guides. One was for neophytes that explained step-by-step, with screen shots. The other was the angle bracket method for the more advanced users. The advanced instructions preceded the basic, so users could see both (until they turned the page to get to Step 2 of the basic instructions). Most people who used the basic manual graduated to the advanced manual almost immediately. They only had to go through ONE procedure ONCE at the basic level, then they figured out that the angle bracket method was much quicker and easier to follow. The basic manuals were soon gathering dust, replaced by small, laminated booklet containing only the advanced instructions. That is, it "became intuitive" quickly.

All the best,
Brian

Geoff,
So would it be a fair summary to say that you're saying angle brackets
are ok only when writing for the experienced user?

So I think I might agree that they are best used for instructions aimed
at experienced users. OTOH, when writing a manual, the angle brackets
could be introduced along with more formal instructions for the most
basic actions, which it could be assumed that novices would be using. So
the novice would gradually learn their meaning.

Rambling on,

Kathleen

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com