RE: Disadvantages of angle brackets?

Subject: RE: Disadvantages of angle brackets?
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:21:04 -0700

Geoff,
So would it be a fair summary to say that you're saying angle brackets
are ok only when writing for the experienced user?

This is another one of those issues that would benefit from a well-done
study: how long does it take people to catch on to what the angle
brackets indicate? Do they make a difference in usability for novices vs
their times savings/brevity?

How quickly we forget: I can remember when I first encountered the angle
brackets: I thought they were horribly uninstructive and unintuitive but
used them because that was the style in place. It also was assumed that
everyone who used the instructions would at least be a computer user
(not sure I agree with you about the "power" user phrase). I'm far from
a power user, but have gradually become inured to the brackets.

So I think I might agree that they are best used for instructions aimed
at experienced users. OTOH, when writing a manual, the angle brackets
could be introduced along with more formal instructions for the most
basic actions, which it could be assumed that novices would be using. So
the novice would gradually learn their meaning.

Rambling on,

Kathleen