symbolize roles

Subject: symbolize roles
From: "Lisa Hickling" <Lisa -dot- Hickling -at- realsuitesoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:38:06 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Kathleen offered

However, I'd like to alert others about the icon site you gave...site
has so many ads that they'redifficult to view/locate; some of them even
obscure the content, including one for gambling.

Oddly, I've seen sites referenced in program books (e.g., HTML, web site
construction) that turned out to be just as bad or worse, including huge
popups for Adult content, etc. I imagine that they've changed over time
(at least I hope they weren't that way when they were originally
included), but it always gives me a creepy feeling when it happens. I
even wonder if those sites crammed with advertising are a good way to
pick up a virus.

... Perhaps before we (list members) send out a link we
could check it, or at least note that it's maintained by ads? Any other
suggestions?

--------------------------------------

Thanks for that useful note Kathleen. My personal attempt to control the
web includes the use of popup blockers, antivirus software, etc. I agree
the web can be a scary place! People however don't usually ignore *a*
useful site if they are able to proactively disarm offensive popups for
*all* sites! As a rule, if a site offers freeware (as I said it did), be
prepared for bombardment of some kind--it's the currency in which
freeware is traded.

Admittedly ten years of the internet has many of us oblivious to banner
ads (out of your control unless you have an appliance like WebSense
which my company has). We usually don't even notice these ads *if* we
are focusing on the site's main content. You will have found the better
mousetrap when someone comes up with TiVo for the web. That said...

Kevin, I see your point regarding a standard depiction of typical roles.
If you are producing server-based online help then you can create
placeholder icons then subsitute them later when you have others that
are more in keeping with some standard.

HTH,

Lisa H.
GTA, ON

"The finest language is mostly made up of simple unimposing words."
George Eliot

(This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courriel est confidentiel et protege. L'expediteur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) designe(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immediatement, par retour de courriel ou par un autre moyen. )

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com