RE: symbolize roles

Subject: RE: symbolize roles
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:16:10 -0400

Lisa Hickling suggested:

> Kevin,
>
> Let's not debate an approach that you are obviously happy
> with and which
> addresses the needs of your audience.

I think it *would* meet needs, but it doesn't right
now, because I haven't done it, because I haven't
settled on meaningful symbolic representations.

Given the amount of time I've already wasted on this,
maybe I'll give it a rest until the next product
cycle.

> If it's icons you want, then icons
> you shall have! Please see Leo's archive at
> http://www.iconarchive.com/.

I actually found that one a few days ago while Googling.
I'd somehow gotten to a BoyScouts web site that further
linked to Leo's archive. Go figure.

Yep, there be plenty of icons and clip-art out there...
But I still haven't found any that reliably symbolize
those three categories (admin, operator, monitor)
(god, priest, laiety?).

I realize that there's a certain arbitrariness to any
of this, but as I mentioned in another post, these
roles are fairly common distinctions across a large
number of industries, and you'd think that somebody
would have invented this particular wheel several years
ago.

The nuclear or other power industries?
Telecomms operators and their suppliers (I used to
work for one...)
Petroleum distillation and other chem manufacturing?
Transit systems?

They all have big, complex systems that are administered
in hierarchical fashion.

Likely they all have "standard" symbolization for roles
and functions, but I've just been using the wrong
search terms.

Kevin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com