One big word document or break apart

Subject: One big word document or break apart
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:59:06 +0800

One of my upcoming projects. We have one single 300 page Word document.
Each page contains a dialog screenshot, and every field described. Old
application, fixed window size, for Informix. Previously maintained by
developers and plus one tech writer, as of recently.

New developments, UI platform has been upgraded, but the items,fields in
the dialogs are the same- so screenshots in the document need to be
recaptured. Aaaah.

I have one single large word document.
* Should I break up into smaller sub documents by application modules
thus easier to assign work? But then I lose my integrated Table of
Contents.
* Should I remove all screenshots and for every dialog? What's your
experience for printed documentation?
* I keep the whole thing as one single large document as it is.

I read that the Master Document feature is terribly dangerous, it
corrupts, an ill influence.:)
Good thing we started enforcing the document out well with basic and
simple use of Word styles. - my contribution as tech writer:)

Perhaps this is one of those questions people keep asking; pros and cons
regardless of the method. Perhaps your collective experience could shed
some light.

Kuan Jern Ng <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
Lead Trainer & Technical Writer, GPRO Technologies Bhd.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com