RE: Spinoff of: Where did you get your feet wet

Subject: RE: Spinoff of: Where did you get your feet wet
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:13:03 -0400

Don't get hung up on the word "passion" in the reply below. A great many
technical writers write about topics they would not be interested in on
their own. (Here's a Techwr-l poll to back up that statement. It's found
at
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/polls/techwhirlpollresults.php3?pollID
=75 )

<start quote>
We have 231 votes for the poll "How interested are you, as a technical
writer, in the subject that you document:"

Very, and would follow the subject on my own 20.78 % (48)
Somewhat, but would not follow it on my own 39.83 % (92)
Not very, and take only a professional interest 30.74 % (71)
Not at all interested in the subject 7.36 % (17)
Other/none of the above 1.30 % (3)
Total votes: 231
<end quote>

When looking for a Technical Communication job, technical knowledge is a
big plus; writing skills are a big plus; tool skills are a big plus;
having a relative who knows somebody who can offer you a job is a big
plus; a great portfolio is a big plus; etc. etc....

Jim Shaeffer

> -----From Original Message-----
>
> To be honest and not to freak you out, but I'd say yes. When you're
> writing it helps to have some passion for what you're writing about,
> and if you buttress that passion with knowledge, you're home free. Now
> you can write without passion, but it's awful hard to write without
> knowledge, even if you are writing marketing materials! :)
>
> ~Poster

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com