Increasing your corporate value (was Outsourcing of Technical Writers Employment)

Subject: Increasing your corporate value (was Outsourcing of Technical Writers Employment)
From: Jobs at ProSpring <jobs -at- prospring -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:16:06 -0700

Sorry for coming in so late on this discussion, but I thought it important to point out something I hadn't see in the thread:

Companies tend to outsource (either on-shore or off-shore) documentation projects when they _perceive_ tech writing to be a commodity to be purchased from the lowest bidder given an acceptable level of quality.

While I do not want to open the "acceptable level of quality" can of worms, I do want to point out that:

o. As a recruiter I am seeing more and more technical writing openings, not less and less. I know companies are offshoring, but I don't see it reflected in the rising number of on-site staff or contract openings.

o. It is YOUR responsibility to make yourself an integral part of the corporation or development team so your job doesn't GET outsourced, no matter what you document or where you work. For those on the list who are STC members, see the article I wrote "Expanding Your Sphere of Influence" in this month's Intercom at http://www.stc.org/intercom/

o. Finally, for the latest news about the growth or decline of outsourcing, attend Paula Berger's Trends panel each year at the STC annual conference. (If you missed last month's conference in Seattle, LavaCon (www.lavacon.org) in September is offering a session on increasing your corporate value AND a session on are whether companies are REALLY seeing a return on their investment on tech writing and training projects they've outsourced over the past few years.)

My $0.02

Jack

Jack Molisani, Lead Recruiter
ProSpring Technical Staffing