Re: Oracle Help or Java Help -- how to choose?

Subject: Re: Oracle Help or Java Help -- how to choose?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:44:43 -0400

> Fine, but that doesn't speak to the fact that XHTML is XML, thus can
> be single-sourced in a simple devel environment, and later parsed
> easily by Java for an alternate (though barely) presentation.

Very true. But XML isn't in itself a solution. You need to wrap some
display context around it. This is where it gets tricky because if the
goal is "pure Java" then you need to create a 100% Java browser for
this. And then you get into the old debate of whether to reinvent the
wheel or go with existing solutions, such as JavaHelp and OracleHelp.

> To me, it's a question of when you bridge the documentation content
> to the product. Doing so continuously through development is
> costly. If the hooks are there, they can be developed discretely
> and joined at the last moment. Or moments. Or unforeseen moments.

I don't understand why it's costly. I have help that's continually
updated with the product and is 100% context-sensitive. It's built
automatically every night. All I have to do is ensure the content's
good.

> Sorry, but this is one of my axes. For my money and professional
> sensibility, needing to see how the docs integrate with the product
> at all development stops is an obsessive waste. It's also quite
> standard, and keeps more than a few aftermarket help products and
> their adherents in work -- when they might be working on effective
> content and presentation instead. Call it writing. :^)

I don't understand what axe you're grinding here. Are you saying you
don't feel it necessary to learn the technology and methodology, but
would rather focus on content and let someone/something else worry
about the implementation? If so, then I have to whole-heartedly
disagree with you on that note. It's my position that this is vital
knowledge that each and every tech writer needs to have; if you don't
know how your work is being wrapped into the product, how do you know
it's being done correctly?

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com