Re: Corporate Value & Career Goals

Subject: Re: Corporate Value & Career Goals
From: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:34:50 -0400

> My subnote is that today I filled out an online application with a
> recruiter. After the obligatory "What are your best work skills?" and
> "What are your worst work skills?" came "What are your career goals."
>
> I wrote that I had already fulfilled my career goals. I do what I love,
> I'm a writer, designer and editor. I've published books you can buy in
> Barnes & Noble in fiction and nonfiction. I make good money. I have
> "achieved" all my career goals. I know, I know, I *did* put the quotes
> around achieved. Is it so wrong to be happy with where one is
> career-wise and admit it? Am I doomed? As a sidenote to this subnote (my
> gosh it's late!) they had a typo on their website. If you want to know
> more, email me privately, I don't want to state the faux pas in a public
> forum.

Michele,

If a company looks at your answer to the question, they're gonna think
that you won't be as motivated to produce for them, since you've
already achieved what you want to achieve. The business world is
predicated on constant growth, aggression, and an almost childlike
need for approval. That's why performance reviews sometimes include
negatives where none truly exist, to keep the employee nervous and
off-centered, and willing to work harder to get that pat on the head.
(YMMV, of course. Everyone is different.)

For what it's worth, if it was me hiring you, I'd be very happy with
that answer, because if you love what you do, you'll bring that
enthusiasm to the job.

Martin

P.S. Yes, please tell me about that faux pas. I love that stuff. ;)

--
Martin H. Bosworth
Technical Writer, Telemedicine Directorate

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com