Where did you get your feet wet?

Subject: Where did you get your feet wet?
From: Lori Olcott <lori_olcott -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 18:21:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Y'all -

Several of these threads have gotten me wondering how most of us got
involved in tech writing to begin with. How many of you have your
bachelors or masters in the field? How many of you grew into it from
previous jobs? How many of you just thought it sounded interesting and
jumped on in?

How necessary is a formal education in the field? Someone recently made a
crack about people who wrote a few how-to sheets and fancy themselves tech
writers. (That's ok, I forgive you.) But is it totally unreasonable to
expect on-the-job experience to get a foot in the door?

When I first started monstering tech writing jobs, I was surprised at what
was expected of the writers. There was a lot more to it than the user
guides and SOP's that I'd done in the past. But I'm still game to try.
I'd really like to hear how some of y'all got started in the field.

Thanks!
Lori

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com