Re: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation

Subject: Re: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation
From: Michele <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 17:17:44 -0500

I suggest you take up drinking as quickly as possible. You are very obviously too smart to be sober all day at this job. Or, I could send you my 14 year old son, who I have nick-named "Fluffy." You'll be worn out and happy that your boss is allowing things to move slowly.

I can say, been there, done that and I've never been captive, ever. I've always consulted. I get praised all the time. I like it. I love writer's that tell me, "Oh, I don't know Word like you, and this whole Styles-thing, why don't you do the template, I don't have time to l-e-a-r-n about Styles." [sigh]

There are only a few of us at the top, be glad you're one of those few. The husband and I went to a pub with my girlfriend who is a writer, and some men from her new gig. The man sitting next to me was a trainer. He told me in conversation that I better start being more tolerant of mediocrity b/c over half of the worlds population has an IQ under 100.

My motto is, don't ask, don't pontificate, just do. Be seen surfing the web, and when asked, tell them you have nothing to do. You'll get some work load fast. Or go back to consulting.

Michele

---------------
Michele E. Davis, Writer
Kraut Companies
612-824-3516
612-309-6903 (cell)
www.krautgrrl.com
www.krautboy.com
and the uber geek empyre

Anonymous Poster wrote:

I have worked as a technical writer for five years,
both as a contractor and full time employee. In all of
my work environments with the exception of one, I have
encountered an acceptance of mediocre documentation.

How do the rest of you deal with praise and/or
acceptance for underachieving performance and mediocre
documentation? Should I expect this attitude in a
corporate environment and seriously consider other
options such as consulting? Am I being overzealous
because I want things clearer, more usable?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com