RE: title caps and API documentation (was: English 101)

Subject: RE: title caps and API documentation (was: English 101)
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:06:54 -0700

Hi Monica,

When odd names fit into a category, such as function names, you can
apply a distinctive style to them throughout the document, and provide
the style definition in your documentation. Then, when such names are
included in a title, it will be clear that the word is referring to a
function (or whatever).

'Course, it will still look odd (maybe odder than before), but it will
be clear that it was an intentional usage. For example, we used the
courier font when we referenced file and folder names (I think that's a
fairly typical strategy). I didn't particularly care for how it looked
along with the rest of the text, but I thought it was helpful to the
reader. I've also seen people use quotes for such situations, but I
don't think the point of that strategy is very clear to the reader.

Kathleen