Re: Another Newbie question about procedures

Subject: Re: Another Newbie question about procedures
From: mearro -at- msn -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:57:16 -0600

John:

In my message, I didn't mention printing a report but printing a
confirmation message (the screen that displays after the task was
completed). I don't think many docs include a separate topic on how or why
to print a confirmation message.

My point (or the point that I intended ;) was that this is information
that is not an actual step in the procedure but that (in certain
circumstances) could be useful to a user who completes the procedure. And
in this instance, it's information that is unlikely to be covered
elsewhere.

Anyhow, my reason as a longtime lurker for joining in on this discussion
was to express my distaste for the following type of procedural info (a
variant of which was recommended to a newbie writer):

7) To complete XYZ procedure, click OK, or to not complete XYZ procedure,
click Cancel.

What's my problem with this step? Well, the second part of this step is
completely unnecessary & what I would consider needlessly confusing.
Instructions should address how to complete a procedure - not how *not* to
complete the procedure.

Some other types of procedural steps I can't stand:

3) The XYZ screen displays.
[What is the user supposed to do here? This isn't a step - there's no user
action.]

5) Enter the user name.
6) Or search the database and select the user name.
[Either/or actions should be one step - users aren't going to follow both
of these steps.]

9) Enter the user address in the XYZ field and select the privileges
associated with the user in the Privileges area of the Users Are Us
window.
[If it's two steps - write it as two steps.]

Mary

John Posada wrote:
> Here's where I see the problem with this. The topic title is
> "Request a Report". If I want to know how to print a report, I'd
> never think of looking here. On the other hand, if you place how to
> print the report in this topic, and you also have a separate topic on
> "Print a report" and the process changes, you now have two places to
> maintain.

>From my previous message:
> > I write the topic "Request a report." In this process, after the
> > report is requested, a confirmation message displays with request
> > details. I include numbered steps detailing the process up to
> > this point. After these steps, I include a note stating: To print
> > details of your request, click Print. I add a brief explanation
> > of why the user would want to print these details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com