A technique to get on development's good side

Subject: A technique to get on development's good side
From: "Caroline Tabach" <Caroline -at- radcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:36:30 +0200

This is similar to what my sister had done.
Starting work in a new company where they thought the writers must only
produce help files, after seeing the GUI, she began demanding to see
screens while being developed, error messages, read me files, release
notes (here the R&D are not English speakers). And now they turn to her
any time anything has to be written in English. She is doing an entirely
different job from the person whose position she took over.

From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 12:47:58 -0700 (PDT)

I've been at this gig for about 2 1/12 months and am on first-name basis
with all 20 oof the developers. However, unless I went to them with a
question, it was clear that they belived there was a line between what
they did and what I did, since my main SME on what I'm working on now is
in Winston-Salem...till today.

About 3 weeks ago, I was asked by the dept admin support person if I
could create a PDF of an Excel and I did so. Three days ago, I was asked
again by the same person if I could make another PDF. I did so.

This morning, on a whim and without management approval, I sent an email
to the 20 developers in the group, saying that if they needed any PDFs
made, just send me the Word file by email and I'd have it back in 15
minutes. No biggee.

Suddenly, at lunch, I was invited to their brown-bag lunch where they
discuss an interesting book, where we more started discussing what I
do...very few of them actually knew. An hour ago, one of the developers
asked if I could help rewrite a server installation document, with the
comment "I think it is fine, but people keep telling me they cannot
follow it...can you help me?" I just got off the phone with a developer
in Winston-Salem on another matter.

Oh, and a DBA asked if I could PDF her database Best Practices document.

Coincidence?

John Posada

Caroline Tabach
Marcom, RADCOM