RE: FAQs - Good or bad?

Subject: RE: FAQs - Good or bad?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:26:53 -0700

Dear Steve,

Interesting question! I am always facing that myself, and in fact I
wrote a documentation plan which *proposed* having FAQs as part of the
documentation.

You probably have to do some digging to find out what they really want.
You may have something better than FAQs, or you may need to come up with
a new "book." You may even need to investigate the issue.

My experience is with programming tools. How do I document all the
little tips, tricks, ideas, paradigms, etc. that go into using a
computer language effectively? Think about all the books that have been
written about "effective" software development!

I have been thinking that we should have a discussion forum for internal
use. From that forum, someone could pull out the most important ideas
and summarize them in a knowledge base/FAQ document/whatever.

This is not going to go away. For every tool we as tech writers use, we
have discussion forums, FAQs, knowledge base articles, and so forth. For
this genre of technical documentation, what is *our* role as technical
writers?

Joe