RE: Client Newsletter

Subject: RE: Client Newsletter
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:34:26 -0700

Dear Lyda,

Your letter implies that someone *doesn't* want you to do this, but you
don't say *why*. I think the client newsletter is a good idea. I think
that putting a link to it in the online help is a good idea. If
*technical writing* originated the idea of the newsletter, than having
editorial control is a good idea.

BUT, if the newsletter wasn't your idea, then I would simply do whatever
the originator wants to do. We know that we don't always like being
edited, but we accept it as part of the task. Sometimes we enjoy it if
we benefit from it.

People who haven't worked as professional writers are very intimidated
by editing of any sort. They'll accept it if someone tells them to, but
they won't volunteer it. I know that the quality and value of the
material suffers as a result, but that's just what happens.

Wait a bit; see if the newsletter creator comes to you for help.

Joe

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com