RE: Do I want it?

Subject: RE: Do I want it?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:33:39 -0700

Dear Lou,

I agree. I only want to eliminate any possible confusion between
*drawings*, which we create with tools such as PowerPoint, Illustrator,
Paint Shop, Visio, and so forth, and *bitmap graphics*, which originate
in photographs, scanned images, and screenshots.

Drawings may contain bitmap graphics, although the converse is not true.

*Always* edit drawings in a vector format, and if possible edit in the
tool in which the drawing was originally created. If the final output
*must* be bitmap, then do the conversion as late as possible. Always
store the original vector form, and always store any included component
bitmaps in their original form (see the following paragraph).

Create bitmaps in the largest possible resolution, using the largest
possible number of colors, and then store the bitmap in the largest
possible file size. Edit bitmaps conservatively, and avoid changing
their dimensions. If you need to enlarge a bitmap from its original size
and resolution, consult an expert.

I do not know much about the new vector formats for the web, but I would
not use them to store or send bitmap graphics.

Joe