RE: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?

Subject: RE: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?
From: "Ashaki K. Hamlett" <ashaki -at- altair -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:53:44 -0400

Run-ons are totally unacceptable regardless of where they are located in the
document and what position you are seeking. But, some of the other items you
listed, to me can be overlooked. For example, the author name in the
document properties of any Word file I create is Jason (if I create it on my
home computer) because my husband installed Office and entered his name
during the installation process. However, I would hate for a potential
employer to question if I actually created my resume because "Ashaki" didn't
display in the document properties. Also, at previous jobs, I've inherited
documents which I've updated and in the document properties, the original
author's name displays. I feel something like that shouldn't disqualify a
candidate for an interview.

On the flip side, I submitted a resume and I manually applied bold to one of
my job titles. I was never called for an interview. After a few days, I
e-mailed the hiring manager and requested and interview. She said that she
couldn't grant me an interview. When I asked her why, she stated that
because I manually applied bold to a job title, she felt I didn't understand
how to use the Styles feature in Word. When I told her I did, she said,
"Sorry, I can't extend you an interview." Mind you, I knew the hiring
manager and she'd seen my portfolio a few weeks earlier when she came to my
undergrad class to do a presentation. She had praised me for having one of
the most professional portfolios that she'd ever seen.

So, I guess you're not the only one who combs over resumes with a fine tooth
comb.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com