Re: Just can't help myself

Subject: Re: Just can't help myself
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:09:42 -0700 (PDT)

If I was an employer, here's what certification would mean to me:

I'm hiring a technical writer and I have two resumes in front of me.
They both have high performance track records, one is certified and
one isn't. If I'm only hiring with no possibility that the position
will evolve, I negotiate with both and go with the lower price.
However, I've hear rumors that the home office in Chicago (we have
600 office around the world) is looking to create an HQ based
technical writing group and someone is going to manage it, and I
might be their manager.

So..while the position doesn't call for it, I'd like the writer that
I hire to be able to move into the position by having a solid
familiarity (not an expert) with a number of areas besides being a
very good writer:

- Cost control and budgeting
- Project management
- System Analysis
- SDLC
- Reprographics (printing, distribution, layout, etc)
- Development technologies
- QC/QA
- People-skills (EEOC and all the sensitivity disciplines)
- Writng and editing (and all the rules)
- Localization
- etc.

Hmmm...Which do I pick?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com