Re: Trouble finding work

Subject: Re: Trouble finding work
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:49:13 -0700

Yeah, I get a lot of these too. It's possible I've found more jobs
for friends and local acquaintances through the contacts from
these boards than I have for myself over the yeats. I've also
not had any of the spam or insurance company scams I hear
others complaining they get when they post to boards, probably
because I always posted my profiles and resumes confidential
(no name, address or phone #). Spammers don't seem to
want to go to the trouble to send to job board anonymous
forwarding addresses. Or maybe the boards use some sort
of filtering that prevents one from sending bulk emails through
them.

Gene Kim-Eng

"Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote...

Gene,

I've landed more than a few gigs from job boards, but usually
indirectly. Let me explain.

Job boards yield lots of calls and e-mails about "opportunities" that
are usually terrible fits. However, this gives you a golden
opportunity to chat up the more intelligent-sounding recruiters, make
sure that they've got your current resume and know exactly what you're
looking for, etc. If I really like a recruiter, I will sometimes
offer to distribute their requirements among my own informal network
of friends and acquaintancs who freelance.

Taking a few minutes to do this has paid huge dividends for me (in
addition to the occasional actual cash referral bonus.) Having a
decent recruiter who "owes you a favor" can be a nice ace in the hole
when you're looking for work.

And now my secret's out. :-)

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com