Re: A vs. An before an abbreviation

Subject: Re: A vs. An before an abbreviation
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:57:34 -0400

Deborah McNally wrote:

I am working on a document that includes a lot of abbreviations. I'm
wondering if the current way it is written is correct or not. The
previous writer wrote the following phrase: on an SQL Server...

My question is should it be an assuming that people read it as EsKuEl or
should be a assuming that people read it seaquil?

Microsoft SQL Server is, by convention and apparently by Microsoft preference, pronounced sequel server. As "SQL Server" is shorthand for Microsoft SQL Server, I think you ought to use "a" before it. But you also ought to have a trademark disclaimer somewhere in your frontmatter.

If you are talking about Structured Query Language, abbreviated SQL, my understanding is that it is usually pronounced essKewEll and would get an "an" before it. But others may differ.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com