Re: A vs. An before an abbreviation

Subject: Re: A vs. An before an abbreviation
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:53:50 +0200 (CEST)

As far as I know, you cannot assume anything (well, you can, but not with any good chance for
success.)

Here in Germany, I always heard EsKuEl and only recently from a US customer sequel (not even
sequil). And as far as I remember, there was a discussion on this here not long ago.

Jens

<zitiere wer="Deborah McNally">

> I am working on a document that includes a lot of abbreviations. I'm
> wondering if the current way it is written is correct or not. The
> previous writer wrote the following phrase: on an SQL Server...
>
> My question is should it be an assuming that people read it as EsKuEl or
> should be a assuming that people read it seaquil?
>
> Thanks for the input.
>

> Deb McNally
> Help Desk Technician/Technical Writer
> Windmill International, Inc.