Re: Technical Writing - What's the catch?

Subject: Re: Technical Writing - What's the catch?
From: Lou Quillio <quillio -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:52:32 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote:

> For most of us the questions are something more like this:
> 1. What is the audience?
> 2. What information do they need?
> 3. What is the clearest, simplest way to convey that information to the
> audience I've identified?

I must be missing something, because these lists look alike to me.
Dick's list even appears to be (displays as? ;) a subset of Orwell's.

Tech pubs obviously shouldn't read like _Animal Farm_, but nobody's
saying they should. At least at the level of sentence structure,
Orwell's Rules always get me a better product no matter the content or
audience. What -sucks- (I really shouldn't use that word any more) is
that I probably won't have fully internalized them until the day I
die.

Then again, I'm rarely writing *for* engineers -- an audience with
unique expectations. I'm usually translating engineers for more
general audiences. Proposals, user docs, training materials.

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com