RE: Technical Writing - What's the catch?

Subject: RE: Technical Writing - What's the catch?
From: "Brian Jennings" <brianjennings -at- cougarmtn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:08:04 -0700

I'd recommend checking out an essay by Orwell that, I think, better
explains his reasoning behind the rules. I guess you don't have to agree
with him, but I like his advice. This is where I was exposed to them and
they are a little different than those provided.

Orwell says a writer should ask himself:
1. What am I trying to say?
2. What words will express it?
3. What image or idiom will make it clearer?
4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?
And he will probably ask himself two more:
1. Could I put it more shortly?
2. Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?

http://www.resort.com/~prime8/Orwell/patee.html

Brian

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com