Re: What do you want/need to start a project

Subject: Re: What do you want/need to start a project
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:31:10 -0500

First, I like to be in on knowing about the existence of the project
when it is starting, rather than around beta test or (worse) at
two weeks before FCS.

Next, I like to see functional specifications and design specifications
at a time when I can review same, and perhaps make improvements. I like
to see specs that can be understood by mortals. [**see footnote]

Third, I like to put together my documentation plan for the project, and
get it reviewed (and re-reviewed) so that I know I am really heading
in the right direction.

Fourth, I like to have an explicit understanding from management that
the SMEs are not "wasting their time" when they talk to me or work
on doc reviews. I like permission (or authority) to talk directly
to SMEs and not to be required to "go through channels" to get reviews.

[**] Here, identical requirements are cast as a bad spec and as a
good one:

1. SPOCR input identical SPOC[WX] without dup 720k maxmem.

2. The input format for SPOCR (System Performance Online Carton
Reader) will be identical to that for the SPOC writer (SPOCW)
and the SPOC tester (SPOCX). Duplicate input items will not
be detected, but will be processed as received. The amount
of flash memory to be used by executable code will be no
more than 720 kbytes.

Bethany Rusbasan wrote:

I am writing a little tip for engineers and analyticals on what they should
gather together to give the technical communicator to start a project.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com