giving a toss about documentation (was RE: Academic Res...)

Subject: giving a toss about documentation (was RE: Academic Res...)
From: "diotima" <diotima -at- myway -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:58:34 -0500 (EST)

eric wrote:

>Consumers will whine and complain no end about poor VCR documentation, but when presented with two VCRs of identical function, do they give a toss about the documentation? No. They buy the one that's 10$ cheaper.

well, maybe. the first time anyway. but considering that the documentation is part of the product's usability, if i buy a vcr from brand x and i find myself frustrated with it, and if the documentation that came with it only exacerbates that frustration, the total experience may very well stay with me for a long time: brand x = frustration = crap. i don't have to feel angst over "the instructions" for that association to be made.

even if i don't go so far as to return it, a year later when i've moved up in the world and i'm ready to buy a dvd player and i see, lo, brand x dvd player sitting next to half a dozen other models, guess which one i probably won't buy? and just because i don't say, "i'm not buying that one because the instructions suck" doesn't mean that the instructions didn't play any part in my low opinion of the brand.

it happens. some people really do give a toss, maybe not about the documentation per se, but about the total experience of the product, of which usability, of which documentation, is key.

some people care. that's why companies like apple are able to find a niche.

-diotima

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com